Friday, April 12, 2013

Yet Another Academic Crush of Mine

     Please don't tell Lucy Calkins, but there's someone else I'm crushing on lately, academically speaking, of course. Mr. Rick Wormeli. The silver fox of differentiated instruction.

     And so, readers, my gift to you this week is the following link to a video that features none other than Rick (if I may be so bold to call him by his first name) discussing the virtues of formative assessment.


     Go ahead and watch. I'll wait....

     Ok? Done watching? Sigh. Isn't he the best? (Plus, don't you just love that groovy beat that plays at the beginning of the video? I am jamming out right now...)

     If you're looking for ways to increase your use of formative assessment in your classroom (and if you teach in the same district as me), then let me know! If you're looking for ways to actually use the data you get from formative assessments to inform your instruction, then -- again -- you know where to find me! Looking for a range of informal and formal formative assessments you can use, without adding more heavy piles of grading to your workload? Hey, I'm your girl!

     I'll leave you with one last shameless plug -- if this stuff fascinates you (and it should!), sign up for my summer workshop, A Practical Approach to Differentiated Instruction in the Classroom. Come one, come all! I may even show you some more Rick Wormeli videos. And if that's not motivation, I don't know what is.

     Teacher readers, have a lovely and well-deserved April break! See you all in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment