Friday, September 14, 2012

My Academic Crush on Lucy Calkins

     Ok. I have a confession to make. Despite the fact that I am engaged to a wonderful man, a true partner through and through, I've fallen for someone else. I really didn't see it coming, but, earlier this week, I picked up a series of books by Lucy Calkins on writer's workshops in the primary grades, and, well, it was love at first sight.
     Ms. Calkins, or, if I may be so bold, Lucy (as she refers to herself throughout the texts) is a master. And while I could go on and on (and on and on) about my newfound love for her, I'll just share one major thing that made my heart go pitter patter.
     She calls her students writers. Her kindergarten and first grade students. When it's time for them to come to the rug for the workshop's mini-lesson, she invites them: "Writers, let's gather." When she needs to interrupt their work to offer a suggestion to the whole class, she asks for her writers' attention.
     Seem small? Seem like no big deal? Maybe at very first glance, but think about the message she is sending to these students. She is empowering them through her use of this one word, allowing them each to own the role of writer. It is one simple, consistent way to demonstrate her belief in her students. I think it's beautiful. And it is something each and every one of us educators can do.
     Yes, Calkins's book is geared towards K-1 classrooms, but why should the above-mentioned message need to change as students get older? Can't they always be called writers by their teachers in 5th grade, 7th grade, in 12th? Can't we also start calling our students artists, mathematicians, musicians, scientists, historians, sociologists.....? I say -- why not? Perhaps some would argue with me (and, shudder to think, with Lucy!). Maybe some would say, "But a 4th grader is not a mathematician. And my 10th grader who is struggling with algebra is certainly not a mathematician." My counterargument is that they are studying these fields and doing work in these fields every day, regardless of their stumbling blocks. Now, I'm not talking about building up a false sense of ability or achievement or confidence so much so that our young mathematicians and artists and historians don't realize that there's still room for improvement. I'm just suggesting that we consider taking a page out of Lucy Calkins's brilliant book and see what it's like to empower and recognize our students and the work they are doing, wherever they're at with it. What better way to motivate them to rise to the occasion?

2 comments: