Friday, February 1, 2013

Carol Ann Tomlinson is my Substitute

    Hello readers! My apologies in advance -- I am muy distracted today because . . . drum roll, please . . . I am getting MARRIED tomorrow! Since my mind is currently a blur of to-do lists, vows, wedding shoes, and manicures, I am feeling less than my blogging best. So, I've arranged for none other than Dr. Carol Ann Tomlinson, guru of differentiated instruction, to fill in for me for this week's blog post.

     Below are two video clips from a presentation Tomlinson delivered as the introduction to a 3-day seminar on DI (which stands for differentiated instruction, for those of you not already familiar with my intense need to abbreviate that term).

Got 5 minutes??

Then check out the following portion of the presentation. Here, Carol Tomlinson makes the case for proactive differentiated instruction, for pre-planning our DI instead of just improvising our DI on the spot:


Got 30 minutes? 
Then watch the entire presentation from Tomlinson. Spoiler alert – a lot of what she discusses here is the philosophy and mindset of DI….you may find yourself very interested, but wondering about the specific activities you can incorporate into your classes in order to achieve what she’s talking about. If so, and you’re a teacher in the district in which I’m an instructional coach, then contact me – we can work together on the details! 

Heads up:  You might want to start at minute 3:30 and skip the lovely piano overture!



I hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment