Friday, January 4, 2013

To Ask or Not to Ask: That is the Question

     Lately, in my role as an instructional coach, I've been fielding a lot of questions about . . . well, questions. Allow me to explain: most teachers (myself most certainly included) have the common experience of having allowed a class to get sort of "taken over" by a handful of student voices. It happens without us even fully realizing it at first. We ask a question, and see hands raised. Gasp! Every teacher's dream! But over time, we notice that those raised hands are always attached to the same students. And now we've gotten into the easy-to-get-into habit of only calling on those students, since -- let's face it -- it's so much easier to just call on a student whose hand is up, a student who is confident and won't feel put on the spot, etc., etc. 

     BUT -- then it appears. That nagging teacher voice inside our heads, reminding us that this is not the way to run a classroom. That we want to hear from all our students, that we need to check for understanding from all our students. And so, we start asking each other questions about questions. 

     The questions about questions I've been fielding mostly involve the following: How do I ask questions that really check for understanding? How do I call on all students without putting a non-volunteering student on the spot, making them feel uncomfortable, nervous, scared, terrified?

     Here are some of the answers I've been giving. First, I say -- it's sort of our job to put students on the spot. I don't mean that in a bad way or with the negative connotation that accompanies the phrase. I just mean that we need to check for student understanding, we need to send the message that, in this class, every students' voice is expected and is valued. So, how do we do it comfortably? I believe it has a lot to do with setting our students up for success when asking questions. Here are my ideas:

  • I think one thing that's really important is that, in addition to asking a student for an answer, we ask him or her to also explain the answer, to explain the thinking behind the answer. Isn't that a better way to truly check for understanding? And here's a bonus I'll throw in for ya: you can use this opportunity to gently call on one of those more reluctant-to-participate students. Here's how. Ask the class a question, and go ahead and take it easy on yourself -- call on one of those frequent flyers to give an answer. Ok? Here comes the twist. Then ask the entire class who agrees with this answer. You'll most likely get more hands raised -- students are feeling more confident now, they're thinking, "Hey -- that was my answer, too! I must be onto something!" Now, call on one of those agree-ers (preferably a student who is a less frequent participator) and ask them to explain why they believe that is the correct answer. Bingo. You've got some good checking-for-understanding going on, along with the added benefit of making it easier for that more reluctant student to get his or her voice heard.
 (Another questioning strategy that I really like for checking for understanding is reflected in the following scenario: A student asks a question of you during a lesson. Instead of answering it yourself, use this opportunity to your advantage, and open the question up to the class. What a great opportunity to check for understanding!)

  • These last two are more ideas on how to ease our reluctant participators into participating. If students have all been working on a task, call on the entire class to share, NO exceptions. Here's a blast from my own classroom past to illustrate: For a homework assignment, I would ask all students to choose three quotes from an assigned reading that they found to be significant and to explain why. In class the next day, I would ask all students to choose one of their quotes (the other two can serve as back-ups should another student share the same quote) to share with the class, along with their explanation of its significance. We'd proceed right along until, inevitably, a student would not participate. This would either be due to a lack of confidence or due to the students' incomplete homework assignment. Here's the key: I would not let this student off the participation hook. Instead, I'd give them an "in," all the while reinforcing my message that everyone's voice will be heard in this class. I'd say, "Ok. There are eight more students who will be sharing. I'd like you to listen to what they have to say. Then I'm going to come back to you and ask you who you agree with most and why." I haven't let my student off the hook, but I haven't crudely put her on the spot, either. Instead, I'm giving her a way in to the discussion with a very specific task. 

  • If students are working on a task during class, you're most likely circulating the room and checking in with them, right? Well, while you're doing so, keep an eye out for student work that you can highlight later when the class meets back up as a whole. If you see an answer (or a drawing, or a sentence, or a mathematical solution, etc., etc.) on the paper of one of your more reluctant participators, point out to them that you really like what they've done. Then -- and this is key -- give them a heads-up that, when the whole class meets back up in a little bit, you're going to ask them to share that particular thing you've just commented on with the class. Again, you're inviting them in without putting them harshly on the spot -- you've given them an "in" to the class discussion by building their confidence and by being explicit about how they will participate.

 So, there you have it. To ask or not to ask? I think we've got the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment