Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Giving Thanks


      I typically post on Fridays. It’s the end of the week, and I love taking the opportunity to reflect on everything I’ve read and researched about instruction and assessment and everything I’ve seen in classrooms over the course of the week. It’s a nice chance to synthesize the ideas that have been flooding my brain all week, as well as to stop and remind myself of the big picture.

     Well, today is Tuesday, but it’s fake Friday for all of us who are fortunate enough to have the rest of the week off to celebrate Thanksgiving. So, I thought I’d post not about everything I’ve learned and thought about this week (it’s been a two-day work week, people!) and instead share with you some things I am grateful for.

I give thanks for:

·      My new job as an instructional coach. This position has reinvigorated my passion for education by allowing me to stretch my muscles and try out a new way to be an educator. Having the chance to work with teachers from grade K all the way to grade 12, in science classes, in art classes, in ELA and in history has been challenging, exciting, interesting, and definitely NOT boring!

·      All the teachers in my new district who have volunteered to work with me so far. In my first two and a half months in this position, I have worked with 36 teachers (many of whom I continue to work with). These teachers give up their free time during prep periods, before and after school to meet with me, all because of their dedication to their craft. It’s inspiring and motivating, to say the least.

·      My soon-to-husband (the big day, 2/2/13, feels right around the corner!). He ceaselessly believes in me, and is the best partner this girl could ever ask for.

·      Friendships. I have a few friends who have known me for so long, I cannot even picture my life without them. Being known so well by someone (or in my case, a few someones) is priceless.

·      Family. I don’t think mine always understand everything I do or believe in – in many ways, we can be polar opposites of each other. But I am blessed to have a nuclear family that, regardless of differences, offers me unconditional love. Especially thankful for my little nephew, who just turned one! He has taught me that I actually CAN get along with a baby – who knew?!?

·      This blog. I’ve never blogged about anything before, so starting a blog was a new challenge for me. I’ve grown to really appreciate the opportunity to sit back and quietly reflect on where my thoughts stand, where my questions lie, where my ideas are coming from. I am thankful to any readers who view my posts, and hopeful that they are learning from and reflecting on what I share.

·      And finally, today I am quite thankful that I was invited to a second grade Thanksgiving feast. Readers, I have never experienced something quite as cute. These are students I have been working with for a while now, and it was sweet to have them welcome me into their celebration. Every now and then with this new job, I really miss being a classroom teacher. Days like today make me still feel that I am part of classroom life, of students’ lives. It was a special gift.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment